How To Buy Less & Enjoy Life More + Recipes

Jenny/ March 29, 2020/ Family Life, Thrifty Homeschool Mama Tips & Tricks

So I don’t know about you but we are definitely buying less and shopping less since this COVID-19 mess. And I gotta tell you though my fridge shelves look different and barer we are eating great! How is that possible? To Buy less and enjoy more? Just keep reading to find out!

Spend less enjoy more

Change your mindset!

First off, if you’re sitting at home with your shades pulled, freaking out then you really need to get over it. Yep, there is a possibility that you might die from this nasty virus; there’s also about a 96% chance or more that you WON’T! Why don’t we look at things that way? I mean seriously, if there’s a 2% chance you’ll die from something that means there’s a 98% chance you won’t. Soooo, its probably not to your advantage to freak out and lock yourself in a room somewhere. Now, yes I am taking a lot of precautions but I’m not constantly scrolling Facebook or the internet for updates. I did that the first few days and it drove me batty. I took Facebook off my phone and INSTANT PEACE! I highly recommend that BTW!!

Buy less, enjoy more!

Now, I’m telling you that we’re shopping less but enjoying our lives and food more!  Why?  For one thing I’m making a TON more homemade breads.  I think that time sucking, mind sucking Facebook had actually stolen something I love to do, which is bake bread. I do have to admit that getting these AWESOME stoneware baking pans from Pampered Chef are addicting. They cook perfectly! Anyway the homemade cheese rolls are divine! Want the recipe?

Homemade whole wheat rolls

Whole Wheat Cheese Rolls:

1/2 cup warm water

2 tblsp yeast

1 cup milk

1/2 cup olive oil or butter

3 eggs

1/4 cup honey

2 tsp sea salt

4-5 cups whole wheat flour

*cheese (optional) 1 slice per roll

Mix the water and yeast together. Let sit until bubbly (about 10 minutes). Mix oil, honey, eggs and milk into yeast mixture. Add 1 cup flour then the salt. Add enough flour to make a thick dough. Mix with dough hook on speed 2 for about 1-2 minutes, adding little bits of flour to get a bouncy but not dry dough. Turn out onto floured counter and knead by hand until its not sticky but bounces back when you push your finger in!

Lightly coat with oil and let rise in a warm place, covered for 45-60 minutes. Punch down, divide into rolls (24) or 2 loaves of bread. Cover or place in a warmed oven and let rise for another 45-60 minutes. Turn oven to 350 and bake until golden. Brush with butter.

*Oh if you want cheese in these just put a slice of sharp cheddar in as you shape your rolls. Completely enfold the cheese in the dough. You can add ham or turkey too!

We’ve also been making homemade pizza, homemade granola bars, donuts, waffles and more! Want those recipes? Check out next week’s post!

I’m going to be continuing this series in the next few days but what are you spending Less and enjoying more? If not, why aren’t you? Get started!

Share this Post

About Jenny

Jenny is a homeschooling mom of 4 and wife to a wonderful husband. She enjoys reading, a good cup of coffee, and spending time outdoors with her family. You can find her writing about Jesus, homeschooling, and life on her blog Our Inconvenient Family, and contributing regularly at Lifeschooling Conference.